Monday 21 February 2011

1 out of 2 aint bad!

Talking about my weekend races. This is the only weekend of the year I race 2 consecutive days, to be honest I'm lucky if I hit double figures with races over the12 months, so it's obvious this was going to hurt. I'm not very good at going fast and to me fast is anything under a 9 min mile.

The thing I enjoy most about ultra's is the lack of need for speed, I don't need to feel like I'm bursting a gut up hill and down hill. If it hurts I tend to back off. But not this weekend!!

On Sat I arrived at Callander park in plenty time to get soaked in the mid day drizzle. The park was resembling a bit of a bog in places.. oh yess this is going to be fun. I done a little warm up, kind of hard to run in my furry snow boots but I managed. Had to get to the loo, just as everyone was lining up.. but made it to the back of the pack in time to take up my usual place.
Of we go and by the time we reach the top of the hill I'm in last place.. oh the joys, seems I always have to be there at some point. The paths on the first half of the route are pretty narrow and I was unable to get through so I just kept pace with folks in front and found more room after the biggish hill. After that, for me it was a case of running as hard as possible and try not to loose places. Got passed after the last short sharp hill, I truly thought I was dying and was pleading with my legs to keep going. Then had to ask myself why was I letting someone get away from me on a downhill? hey that doesn't make sense. Only had the run in to catch up, which I did. Was well chuffed I didn't give up, but missed beating last years time by 27 secs. Disappointed slightly in that.
Sat night Bryan took me out for a wee pub meal and couple of beers, not sure if it was to celebrate or comiserate but hey it was a nice gesture.

Then to Sunday, Kirky 12.5k. My 4th time round this route. Sore legs to start with but I was feeling ok. Kept my eyes on folks in front trying to reel them in. I managed quite well with my mile splits being no more than 20 secs apart for the whole 7 miles. Beat last years time & 2007 but still 2 mins outside 2006. Ahh well.

Once home we walked to the gym with all our ID.. ever tried joing a local authority gym? geeze it's easier getting your Hort1 paperwork together!! but none the less, we arrived laden down with photo work pass's, payslips, utility bills, direct debit forms, joining forms and a cheque for our joining fee. We leave with our little members badges and a feeling a of well being.
Tonight we have our induction. I don't require one as a past member but Bryan does so I'll just tag along and remind myself what a gym looks like. I have to book my hour with the trainer to get my own plan made up.. looking forward to it.

This week so far only 13 miles under my belt, was hoping for 50. Planned 8 up the Carrick hills tomo then it'll be a few longer plods. Oh and the gym in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment