Thursday 13 September 2012

Glenmore 24

April 28th, fell and broke my leg during the Highland Fling relay.


July 10th, allowed to run again. 2k on the treadmill building it up with .5k every 2nd day.

That quickly sums up my summer and training for the Glenmore 24. I could have changed to the 12 but then I would have had to run quicker and I really didn't like the thought of that.

On the the run up I managed a great run on The Way with Fiona and Caroline. This really helped my confidence and I was positive I could manage a good 50miles.



Then a couple of 18 miles + with Stan, these I felt more rattled and definitely not comfortable. I just kept running out of steam... nothing left... tank empty and I'm walking downhill never mind uphill.

I'm sure it was due to not getting my mind back into to training mode that I kind of overlooked my feeding and nutrition. I find I can manage a long run with some Isotonic, tablet and a wee crumpet with jam. I can tell you I was quickly found out during the race.

Onto the weekend. We arrived Friday night, wee 6 man bivvy tent Bryan and Munro. Got our spot in the corner with the hope of keeping Munro away from too much activity. He can get a bit jumpy but as it turned it, he was totally fine all weekend. We camped on the Friday night, Mark and Geraldine arrived, Stan later on. The wee hayfield was filling up.



As is necessary we had to walk Munro before bed so a few of us start out to walk the route. As I ran the race last year it was assumed I'd know the way... wrong. Lost lost lost!! but eventually we find our way onto the wide forest road. It was exciting to see the route. My long wait to run again was almost over! As it happened, glad we took our head torches as our dilly dallying took us a good bit longer to get round.

Saturday morning, I'm not sure well rested is a phrase I'd use but I did get some sleep. Unlike a a few who were having a ball in the marshals tent. Hangovers were order of the day!

Stan had suggested we go into Aviemore for a full breakfast. Seemed like a good idea. Whilst there we lost Mark & Geraldine, met John & Lorna, waited over an hour for our order and ended up stuffing our food down and quickly making our way back to the hayfield trying not to panic.

Stan wanted to get the medical stuff done, I was a bit on edge with nerves and didn't want to hang around with so little time.
Eventually it was time and we were off, Stan left behind in the medical tent! I took my customary place at the back of the field and walked up the hill out the hayfield.




My first few laps everything went fine but on reflection I was already building up my fall. Rather than eat solids I was only drinking isotonic, fair enough, but at half dilution as I didn't think I could drink the 500ml and hour required to keep my carb intake up. Soon I was gasping for water, drinking like it was running out, still eating nothing so Bryan tried to remedy this by making me eat half a crumpet. I had a few cups of chocolate milk too. Oh dear. 7 hours later and I'm hungry so ask Bryan for soup and bread. This was fine and off I go.



This was a bad lap. Negative thoughts creep in. I'm not fit. Why am I doing this. Who am I kidding.  I'll never get round this lap never mind all night. Just a few of the drag me down thoughts that seemed to be winning. I plodded the lap out and asked Bryan to come with me for the next one. So off we set with Munro in tow. This really picked me up and I was quickly feeling good again. Another lap down and Caroline is there supporting Neal (pulled out due to tummy issues) and asks if I want her to run with me? oh yes. So we gibber and gabber for 2 laps and my speed is up as my mood but my stomach was hollering noooo.

So it was decided I stop, get something decent to eat and let it digest a bit before setting out again. Lets just say it never happened. As much as I tried I could no longer keep all the watery gunk down and I chucked up. Violently. Mark came in from his tent next to us to see if I was ok. Again more discussion about what would be best. Sleep and let my stomach settle.
I lay in my sleeping bag and listened to the 12hr runners pounding round the little loop. The count down, the cheers then the quiet. I quickly fell asleep only to wake bursting for a pee at 03:30. Ahh well, might as well run, I'm getting up anyway!
My first lap (14) was fine and I was way overdressed. It was really quite warm out there. Got a brilliant wee sing song form Geraldine & Lee at half way.. nutters! Onto my next lap and I'm feeling delicate. Thirsty, hungry, baokish etc so I walk a bit. I had made myself markers where I walk and run so was not a happy bunny to be walking outwith my markers. On the downhill my tummy again decides I have not treated it well and again empties itself in a fun projectile way.
I get to Ada, inform her I'm still not doing well and will be stopping for another while to try gather myself.

Slept the rest of the night and eventually woke after 8 I think. Bryan asked me if I was going back out. I counted my laps (15) 60 miles. I had set my gold target at 70. I said no. If I'm honest I never gave it a considered thought. I was still feeling sick. My body was knackered, even though my running legs felt fine I knew I'd done enough.

I wanted home. I wanted showered and I wanted my bed. So we left early but not till Stan gloriously got 100miles. Well done.



A huge well done to everyone who took part. It is a fabulous weekend, the organisers and marshals all doing a brilliant job. Always great to catch up with folks, meet new friends and to watch in awe of some great performances.



I've not jumped back into training, instead taking a week off with short jogs with Munro round the local trails. Now I can't wait to start again, in particular work on my nutrition, add in some speed work and some hill. First though is to complete The WHW in 3 days next week. My wee challenge with myself. Looks like I'll need my rain jacket!!

Happy running

Karen & Munro


2 comments:

  1. good luck Karen, mentally this will do you lots of good, rain shmain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done Karen, running 60 miles is a brilliant achievement! Never mind just 4 months after breaking your leg, I doubt there's many can say they've done that! You can only get stronger. x

    ReplyDelete